Today is December 1 and although Advent has already officially started, the waiting and anticipation of Christmas is certainly building.
In the last few years I have been paying more presence to Advent, digging into the mystery and the majesty, the longing and the lament, the waiting and the wonder of this blessed season of celebration.
And yet, even with the best of intent, it is still so easy to fall into the busy chaos that this month can hold. For Chayton, this will be his third Christmas and his last one as the only child/grandchild in the house. So instead of gifting him with a chocolate or toy advent calendar I’ve decided to do something a little different. If you’d like to follow along, here’s my 25 Days of Giving Advent.
25 Days of Giving Advent
- Put up a wreath on the door
- Make hot chocolate and cuddle on the couch
- Read a Christmas story book together
- Mail cards for friends and family
- Drive around to see the lights
- Attend a community Christmas concert
- Donate to a charity
- Give one random act of kindness to a stranger
- See a live nativity
- Pick out and gift a new ornament for the tree, symbolizing a milestone for the year
- Bake cookies for neighbours
- Have a snowball fight in the living room, with yarn pom-poms
- Build a gingerbread house
- Decorate the gingerbread house
- Share a kind word with a friend or family member
- Make salt print ornaments
- Go sledding
- Donate a toy to the community Christmas hamper
- Make a garland with popcorn or dried oranges
- Ride the Christmas train
- Bring flowers to a seniors home in the community
- Take a friend out for coffee, hot chocolate or tea
- Go ice skating
- Sing Christmas Songs
- Read the Story of the First Christmas (Luke 2)
Just reading the list of all the activities we can do together gets me excited for the Season ahead! I really want to be intentional with our time and build memories together, savouring every last bit of 2016.
Because if we don’t take the time to pause for a slow and sacred Christmas, then what’s the point of all the holiday parties and twinkling lights?
So give more this Christmas: Give time, give memories, give love.
We all could use a little more love.
And don’t forget to share with friends!! Especially if there are cookies involved!
ps: BIG THANKS to all the local vendors who helped bring this wintery, Christmas vision to life! It certainly got me into the festive spirit and I loved taking the time to highlight all these fantastic local creatives and makers.
Photographer: Olivia Ann Loney Photography
Stylist: Style by Deanna
Tara’s Necklace: Senhoa
Boy’s Pjs: Jax & Lennon Co
Reigndeer Cookies: Baked by Bee Treats
Merry Christmas Banner: Little Sprout Creations
Calligraphy Print and Gift Tags: Sunshine Ink Co
Wooden Trees: Pacific Coast DIY
Knit Stockings: Purl and Co
Blanket: Ry & O
Stag Pillow: Townsend Rowe Vintage
Santa Bag: Stolen Heart Creations
Garland Greenery: Maple Ridge Florist